The Commex Team at the 2014 Beekman Year End with their Eco Warrior Award.
Beekman Group Eco Warrior
Our Commex Department, who takes care of the day-to-day running and maintenance of head office, was awarded the Beekman Group Eco Warrior Award at the annual Year End Function that took place on 7 November 2014.
The department decided to focus on a sustainable approach in each of their daily tasks - from the refreshments served to the employees, to packaging of postage parcels and the car wash. "We adopted many small ways of saving the environment into our daily activities and it has turned into a mantra of 'save, save, save' that everyone has playing in the back of their minds at all times," said Jade Labuschagne, Manager for this department.
Some of the Go Green approaches now implemented in their daily operations include:
- The use of Probac cleaning products, which are environmentally friendly and biodegradable.
- The kitchen fridges are kept free of clutter to ensure that the fridges run as little as possible, thus saving electricity.
- Hydroboils (super urns) are used for making refreshments. Traditional urns are used only for special events (AGM's) where guests make their own refreshments.
- A high pressure cleaner are used at the car wash. It is more water efficient than using a hosepipe
- All packaging materials receive from deliveries (boxes, bubblewrap etc.) are re-used for packaged items dispatched from head office.
- The LED tubes in the roof lights get repositioned once half have burned out, into places where they can still be used (alongside tubes that are fully operational). Thus ensuring that the remaining part of the tube is used until it entirely burns out.
- The interiors of the open plan offices have partitions and window blinds that were an outdated maroon colour. After researching high and low, it came to the decision to colour these black by means of airbrush painting techniques. No material or partitions went to waste!
- Re-using everything, even empty paint buckets - they all get repurposed into something that Commex can use, which saves them having to buy new buckets.
We are very proud of this team. Not only are they saving money, but they are reducing, reusing, recycling and upcycling and helping the environment in all their operations.